SENIOR PROGRAMS CANCELED THROUGH MARCH 2020
In the interest of the health and well-being of our residents, the City of Cedar Hill is canceling all scheduled senior programs through March 31, 2020. This includes all trips, transportation, fitness classes, games, dance, and special interest programs.
This decision was reached after consultation with the City’s local health authority and after careful consideration of the growing spread of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID019) cases in the United States and worldwide. We want to be vigilant in exercising every precaution to protect our senior population, as those 65 and over are considered high risk by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
The CDC advises that older adults are at a higher risk of getting very sick from this illness, and has advised that older adults should:
- Take everyday precautions to keep space between yourself and others,
- Avoid crowds as much as possible,
- Wash hands often for at least 20 seconds,
- Avoid cruise travel and non-essential air travel, and
- Stay at home as much as possible in the event of an outbreak in your community.
- You can find more information about Coronavirus (COVID-19) at cdc.gov/coronavirus.
The City will re-assess programs and events for scheduled for April over the next few weeks.
Take a program specialized for active Seniors, enjoy a specialty trip, or just come and say hi to your fellow peers at the Cedar Hill Senior Center!
Memberships are available to individuals 50 years plus free of charge, and are required to participate in any activities or programs offered. A membership registration form (PDF) must be completed and turned into the Senior Center to complete your membership. Forms are also available at the center.
Bus service is available to and from the Senior Center for Cedar Hill residents only for no additional fee. This service is exclusive for members that do not drive or have no other means of transportation. To reserve your ride, please call (469) 493-9287 one day in advance.
The Cedar Hill Senior Senate is a 501(c)(3) advisory board organized for the benefit of the Cedar Hill Senior Center. Meetings are held the third Monday of each month at 9:30 am at the Senior Center and are open to the public. Its main function is to raise funds, advise, support, and assist the Senior Center Staff. For additional information, or to become a member contact the Senior Center.
Registration is required for noted classes and for our monthly trips. Membership is required for all activities and is free of charge. Registration for each month begins the last full week of the previous month and can be done in-person at the Center or online.
Cedar Hill residents will have first priority. Non-residents must pay a $20 per program fee to participate in exercise classes.
Line Dancing - Registration Required
Tuesdays, 1 p.m. to 2 p.m.
Learn fun dances choreographed to contemporary music.
Gold Toning Exercise - Registration Required
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8:30 to 9:30 a.m., 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.
Tone your body and stay active through aerobic movement. Participants incorporate light weights and bands.
Yoga for Seniors - Registration Required
Mondays/Thursdays, 1 to 2 p.m. and 2 to 3 p.m.
Learn how to breath through basic Yoga movements with or without the use of a chair.
Mat Yoga - Registration Required
Tuesdays, 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.
Basic yoga on a mat
Zumba Gold - Registration Required
Mondays, 8:30 to 9:30 a.m.
Tuesdays/Thursdays/Fridays, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Move to the rhythm of the music with basic Latin dance moves.
Dancersize - Registration Required
Mondays, 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Learn basic two-step and various line dances while getting fit. No partner required.
Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to noon
Play Bingo for $1 per card and win food.
Mondays, 11 a.m.
Wednesdays, 12 p.m.
Enjoy the game of bridge with other members. Even if you don't know how to play, we will teach you! Monday is casual bridge and recommended for new players, Wednesday is for more competitive play.
Mondays, 10 a.m. to noon
Paint and design pieces from greenware. Class participants must provide their own supplies and firing is included. This class is self-instructed.
Wednesdays, 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Anyone of any skill level invited! Loom knitting is easy, fun, and doesn’t take long to complete! Some of the hats created will be donated to various North Texas Organizations including the Scottish Rite Hospital for Children, various cancer centers, and local nursing homes.
Thursdays, 10 a.m. to noon
Learn the art of making beautiful and fun jewelry to wear.
Thursdays, 12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
Quilting is a major part of history. This class will help you enhance your personal legacy as you make your mark on history.
A variety of day trips are offered monthly for a nominal fee and are open to registered members of the Senior Center. Advanced registration is required and availability is limited.
Extended trips are offered to Senior Center members throughout the year to a variety of locations such as Montreal, New York City, and more.
Click on the images below for more information on specific 2020 trips.
- Registration for trips/outings will begin on the last full week of the previous month (ex. registration for May trips will begin the last full week of April).
- Cedar Hill residents only will be able to sign up on the first two days of registration.
- Open registration will begin on the third day of each registration period until the trip is full.
- Full payment must accompany registration.
- Registration must be made in person at the Senior Center or online through ActiveNet. We will not accept payment for trips over the phone.
- Participants must contact the Senior Center if it becomes necessary to cancel for any reason.
- When possible, the space will be filled by someone from the waiting list.
- Participants may not transfer their reservation to a friend. All cancellations must be processed through the Senior Center.
- There will be no refunds for individuals canceling their trip registration unless the reservation has been resold or the Senior Center receives a refund from the provider.
- Refunds will only be given if the Senior Center needs to cancel the trip.
A complete copy of the Senior Center rules may be obtained at the Senior Center or by downloading them (PDF).
- All participants must sign-in upon arrival to the Senior Center.
- Classes are only open to registered members of the Senior Center.
- Any fees required for activities or trips must be paid in advance.
- The Senior Center is a No Smoking Facility.
- Tobacco and Alcohol are not allowed within the building or on the Senior Center grounds.
- Pets (other than service animals) and children are not allowed.
- Lost and found items will be held for 30 days. After 30 days, lost items will be donated to a local charity.
- In the event of inclement weather, the Senior Center will be closed only if the City of Cedar Hill is closed.
- The Senior Center will be closed for holidays following the City of Cedar Hill Government Center closing schedule.
- Guests of eligible Senior Center Participants are welcome provided they sign a waiver of liability and agree to adhere to all applicable policies and procedures as determined by the Senior Center Supervisor.